Author Topic: Free Secondary Education @ 20B. We bury the SAPs  (Read 1846 times)

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
Free Secondary Education @ 20B. We bury the SAPs
« on: December 04, 2017, 05:28:14 PM »
All KCPE candidates to be placed in secondary schools.
Matiang'i says the taxes will buy even the text books. Means less idle cash to be stashed in gunias.

With benefits of FPE already being visible  this is Revolutionary. The cost of SAPs are clearly with us with millions of Class 5- 8 drop outs who can't do much and who unless such initiatives are executed will perpetuate the cycle of poverty to their children, grand children.

Need to go down hard on principals going against the fees guidelines.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Free Secondary Education @ 20B. We bury the SAPs
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 06:59:35 PM »
Exactly. The more the money is committed to such must-spent - the less we have for thieves to steal. Our education spending is commendable. I wish we could figure out how to spend the same in infrastructure but with less corruption.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 11:15:55 PM »
I agree
Education is an investment that can never be avoided. It always pays off.

All KCPE candidates to be placed in secondary schools.
Matiang'i says the taxes will buy even the text books. Means less idle cash to be stashed in gunias.

With benefits of FPE already being visible  this is Revolutionary. The cost of SAPs are clearly with us with millions of Class 5- 8 drop outs who can't do much and who unless such initiatives are executed will perpetuate the cycle of poverty to their children, grand children.

Need to go down hard on principals going against the fees guidelines.

Offline Higgins the genius

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 02:31:43 AM »

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 09:46:30 AM »
Great idea. Private schools were victimized for a long time yet they fill a very wide gap. A capitation model should help in the same way private universities and public universities coexist.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 04:49:29 PM »
Also, get rid of KCPE. Education for the first 12 years should be seen as basic. If all children must go on to High school, there is no place for a competitive process midway. If there are elite schools that want to attract the best students, let them set their own exams like Kianda and Strathmore do. Otherwise, we should only have university entrance exams on the national/public level. Then we can concentrate on educating our children and not just Acing exams.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 05:08:59 PM »
Also, get rid of KCPE. Education for the first 12 years should be seen as basic. If all children must go on to High school, there is no place for a competitive process midway. If there are elite schools that want to attract the best students, let them set their own exams like Kianda and Strathmore do. Otherwise, we should only have university entrance exams on the national/public level. Then we can concentrate on educating our children and not just Acing exams.

I think that should apply all the way to universities.  There is no need for a national examination.  In fact I think each county should determine what their priorities are, as far as what people are going to learn in public schools are.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »
I won't be quick to get rid of KCPE or KCPE - it only chance for many poor kids to get to national schools or best university. It's cut-throat and that is life - and best way to prepare a 3rd world Kid is exactly that - make him work really hard. I use to be have many ideas about schooling but with my daughter - I have realized theory & practise is something else - so I let her go to school at six and she in class 2 - but what they read or knows is pretty much amazing - I didn't know that much that early. Next year she goes to so called international school and I want to see "change". If not  broken - don't fix. Fix what is broken - for instance we can concentrate on school infrastructure and equipment - for starters.

Offline Higgins the genius

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 12:02:15 AM »
I hope the young MPs can sponsor a bill to the effect of having kids in private school benefits from government monies and things like Laptop.

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 05:32:32 PM »
I won't be quick to get rid of KCPE or KCPE - it only chance for many poor kids to get to national schools or best university. It's cut-throat and that is life - and best way to prepare a 3rd world Kid is exactly that - make him work really hard. I use to be have many ideas about schooling but with my daughter - I have realized theory & practise is something else - so I let her go to school at six and she in class 2 - but what they read or knows is pretty much amazing - I didn't know that much that early. Next year she goes to so called international school and I want to see "change". If not  broken - don't fix. Fix what is broken - for instance we can concentrate on school infrastructure and equipment - for starters.

It's too rigid.  They should leave entrance metrics to the individual universities.  The entrance tests should be available to anybody who has completed high school at an affordable rate.  If you want to study law, the faculties of law will have their own test.  Engineering, same thing etc.  And people can take the tests when they are ready.

That way lower schools can focus on basic education rather than prepping kids for tests.  Part of the Negro's problem stems from the fact that he sees education only in terms of tests and qualifications.  Which IMO is what a half-baked graduate is.  He sees education as something you leave at school as you get ready to hustle in the real world.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 05:51:59 PM »
I think in a country like ours where corruption is our second nature - you need KCSE or KCPE set & marked as stringently as possible by national examination body. KCSE result are used in lots more places than just universities. So we need something like that and we have to thank Matiangi for restoring the integrity of the exams. Private candidates are allowed to sit for KCSE.

I just don't know how having all sort of exams conducted by all sort of universities in place as rotten as kenyan will be good.

And the bottom-line is we are designing a public schooling system to effectively trains millions of kids every year - some of those nice ideas like creativity & fully-baking our graduate - are secondary - they'll come later as our gdp improves. Teacher qualification remain a problem - most of our teachers are poorly trained for example?

The focus should be on the basics - basic reforms that are easily scalable in places like Turkana or Mandera. First of course is access to education - even if it's under a tree - that we are nearly dealing with - primary level admission are up there at 95% or about - secondary transition edging towards 85% or about - university admission still low at 7-0%? - then quality comes after that.

It's too rigid.  They should leave entrance metrics to the individual universities.  The entrance tests should be available to anybody who has completed high school at an affordable rate.  If you want to study law, the faculties of law will have their own test.  Engineering, same thing etc.  And people can take the tests when they are ready.

That way lower schools can focus on basic education rather than prepping kids for tests.  Part of the Negro's problem stems from the fact that he sees education only in terms of tests and qualifications.  Which IMO is what a half-baked graduate is.  He sees education as something you leave at school as you get ready to hustle in the real world.

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 06:20:05 PM »
Exactly. Sometimes mixing with people educated in other jurisdictions especially in classrooms you realize how truly uneducated the Kenyan 'educated' are. To us, schools are not about learning useful stuff, they are about acquiring an all-important piece of paper. That's it.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 07:09:45 PM »
It not possible to compete with say OECD countries on anything including education if you're a 3rd world country.They have far more resources - teachers, books, equipments - to produce quality education. You can imagine places where primary kids are taught by post-graduate - while our universities are struggling to find the same.

Kenya is miles ahead for country at it's level of GDP/Prosperity or lack of. Of course you cannot compare our high schools say with US high school where budget for a school could ran into million of dollars.

I don't think you can just copy-paste  what works in developed country - I mean we tried with 8-4-4 to copy Canada and we failed.

Our kids going thro the hard-way because there is really no other way. Developed kids have resources for quality educations. We don't.

Exactly. Sometimes mixing with people educated in other jurisdictions especially in classrooms you realize how truly uneducated the Kenyan 'educated' are. To us, schools are not about learning useful stuff, they are about acquiring an all-important piece of paper. That's it.

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 09:16:34 PM »
I think in a country like ours where corruption is our second nature - you need KCSE or KCPE set & marked as stringently as possible by national examination body. KCSE result are used in lots more places than just universities. So we need something like that and we have to thank Matiangi for restoring the integrity of the exams. Private candidates are allowed to sit for KCSE.

I just don't know how having all sort of exams conducted by all sort of universities in place as rotten as kenyan will be good.

And the bottom-line is we are designing a public schooling system to effectively trains millions of kids every year - some of those nice ideas like creativity & fully-baking our graduate - are secondary - they'll come later as our gdp improves. Teacher qualification remain a problem - most of our teachers are poorly trained for example?

The focus should be on the basics - basic reforms that are easily scalable in places like Turkana or Mandera. First of course is access to education - even if it's under a tree - that we are nearly dealing with - primary level admission are up there at 95% or about - secondary transition edging towards 85% or about - university admission still low at 7-0%? - then quality comes after that.

I agree about cultural and cost issues.  But I think counties should be given leeway to decide they want something else if they feel they have better ideas.

Harriet Tubman

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 05:23:36 PM »
In a place where even the universities have only one book for 1,000 students, this is the way to go. With the tablets for kids and now this, we are getting many things right.

The unions given the salaries issues are sorted and likes of Sossion dabbling in politics means they will be kaput soon.
http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/economy/3946234-4227462-j7cgd3/
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution