Author Topic: Faiba upset data market  (Read 3892 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Faiba upset data market
« on: December 05, 2017, 09:35:29 PM »
New launch faiba offering insane rate.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Faiba upset data market
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »
Okay this is truly insane. I think kenya is onto something here. Already with Africa best internet - but this basically blows it out of the park. 1GB for 50bob...while Safaricom get you at best 150mb. This will force Safaricom, Airtel and Telcom to respond. I am stuck with Zuku - no more.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 10:14:02 PM »
They need to work with right OEM to deliver devices that support voice over LTE at the stated bandwidth of 700 mhz to the market at reasonable prices

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 02:52:31 PM »
Where do we get the SIM cards.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:56:01 PM »
kirui and Kalejin mafia trying to capitalize on safaricom boycott buts its all good in the end the customer wins

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »
Do they have a network, or use Safaricom's network.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 07:37:10 PM »
Been to FoneXpress. The Sim Cards will be available from this Friday

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 09:27:15 PM »
They have their own network, or buy from others?

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 12:05:24 PM »
I think own network - using freed frequency that use to support analoque radio+tv ( they got it cheaply - maybe coz WSR has something to do with it?).

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 05:12:42 PM »
So many opportunities around Africa to make billions without pinching from Treasury

I think own network - using freed frequency that use to support analoque radio+tv ( they got it cheaply - maybe coz WSR has something to do with it?).

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 06:24:46 PM »

Got one yesterday at their office at Upper Hill.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 07:40:32 PM »
Won't have much impact till they sort the phones-network compatibility issues. 4GXtreme?? Only data, no calls??

Buying new gadgets for Kenyans is hard sell, despite the fact that the cost of data will easily cover the cost of the compatible modem/phones. Once the Hustler cracks this it will be a game changer, for now people have to stick to Safaricom and Airtel for their bundles.

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 08:02:35 PM »
Won't have much impact till they sort the phones-network compatibility issues. 4GXtreme?? Only data, no calls??

Buying new gadgets for Kenyans is hard sell, despite the fact that the cost of data will easily cover the cost of the compatible modem/phones. Once the Hustler cracks this it will be a game changer, for now people have to stick to Safaricom and Airtel for their bundles.

Checkout OLX and pigiame. Kenyans are already selling the routers which can work with the Faiba network.

Faiba is also selling their own MiFi MF8 for KES 5400.

On the handsets, Infinix, Tecno, et al are going to gain even more market share with their compatible 4G phones selling for under $200.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 02:44:41 PM »
I don't get Faiba - do you install office- & home routers or do they have a (virtual) mobile network for wireless/SIM access? Without wireless scaling is hard. Can they copy Equitel thin SIM or isit patented? With MVNO they just need an innovative thin SIM instead of climbing a mountain to beat Safaricom.

I am not fully sold on CA reports that Kenya has 89% internet penetration. Hyperbole. I doubt even mobile has reached that. We need independent assessment - like we have for corruption (TI), innovation (WIPO), business index (WB).

Africa needs major investments in bandwidth.

Global indicators as at 2015 - Kenya has 50% internet access

Internet users in 2015 as a percentage of a country's population
Africa clearly shows as the largest single area behind the digital divide.
Source: International Telecommunications Union.

I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 03:13:31 PM »

We need sim-free or smart sim internet access by now. Equitel thin sim is a half-baked way there - see how it reigned Mpesa rates. I use a single dongle - Nvidia Shield - to access multiple services. It beats sense why a price-sensitive market like Kenya can't have integrated access to the internet and calls. Safaricom will throw a fit but sim-free is coming for them.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 05:35:51 PM »
I am not fully sold on CA reports that Kenya has 89% internet penetration. Hyperbole. I doubt even mobile has reached that. We need independent assessment - like we have for corruption (TI), innovation (WIPO), business index (WB).

Agreed. I have two Safcon cards (one business, one private), two Airtel cards (again one business, one private) and one Telkom (business), yet I bet all the cards, although all registered in my name, are counted as 5 different users. And I know many who operate as I do.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »
It mostly self-reporting but if the line is at least active once in 3 months or so then it counts. But yeah we are still far from 100% penetration - as we saw with IEBC - network coverage itself is not 100%.
Agreed. I have two Safcon cards (one business, one private), two Airtel cards (again one business, one private) and one Telkom (business), yet I bet all the cards, although all registered in my name, are counted as 5 different users. And I know many who operate as I do.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 05:01:31 PM »
Wananchi is leading the fibre market (41%)... with Faiba/Jamii Telecom in third place (13%).

Video-on-demand spurs rise in fibre Internet users
http://www.nation.co.ke/business/Video-on-demand-spurs-rise-fibre-Internet-users/996-4255162-3pij9yz/index.html

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 06:49:55 PM »
Wananchi ingenuous deal with KPLC is the deal breaker. In my house in Nairobi I am hooked to Zuku and I aint complaining.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 02:21:13 AM »
I don't get the Wananchi-KPLC deal. Is it joint billig or what?

Wananchi ingenuous deal with KPLC is the deal breaker. In my house in Nairobi I am hooked to Zuku and I aint complaining.