Author Topic: @Omollo, Tribalism In The Private Sector  (Read 4360 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
@Omollo, Tribalism In The Private Sector
« on: May 13, 2015, 04:20:14 PM »
Scanning through the new and improved omollosview, I came upon this article.  About ukabila in the private sector.   

The question in my head is whether there is or should be a law against that.  I tend to believe the private sector should be left to their own devices in that respect.  The sole exception being if they are procuring business from the public sector. 

http://omollosview.com/blog/2015/05/09/tribalism-and-lack-of-diversity-in-the-kenyan-private-sector/
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: @Omollo, Tribalism In The Private Sector
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 05:34:36 PM »
This is best left alone; the assumption being every tribe or region will have their fair share of private enterprises; and those that have more will scout for talent and labour everywhere.I'd focus on structural regional barriers in private sector.....and this is possible by spreading the national cake through devolution.

At end of the day Capitalism should be allowed to thrive. You don't have to patronize tribal companies.

What is needed is perhaps a commission to highlight inequalities of all sorts...gender, tribal, regional, in schools, in private enterprise, in gov and implore or force diversity where possible.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 05:38:32 PM »
Omorlo you omitted Kipng'etich there. Was this on purpose?
Look again
http://www.equitybank.co.ke/about/board-of-directors

Top management
http://www.equitybank.co.ke/index.php/about/senior-management

This is a weak example of a valid point, borders on hyperbole

2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 05:43:27 PM »
This is best left alone; the assumption being every tribe or region will have their fair share of private enterprises; and those that have more will scout for talent and labour everywhere.I'd focus on structural regional barriers in private sector.....and this is possible by spreading the national cake through devolution.

At end of the day Capitalism should be allowed to thrive. You don't have to patronize tribal companies.

What is needed is perhaps a commission to highlight inequalities of all sorts...gender, tribal, regional, in schools, in private enterprise, in gov and implore or force diversity where possible.

Yes.  Unless they get a good chunk of their business from the government, they should be left alone.  Kind of like the US.  If you want business with public entities, you have to have diversity in the workplace.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 05:58:20 PM »
By and large the private sector all over the world is left to its own devices. The nature of business is such that certain traits such as family, region, tribe etc have to be harnessed to get success. For example Pundit might prefer milk from his home area as opposed to Brookeside or KCC while a guy in Gatundu would want "local" produce. The same applies to hiring etc.

However over time even family businesses embrace diversity - even only to avoid what really killed the British Empire.

In the US the big companies had to embrace diversity to avoid negative publicity and boycotts. The same thing ended the jim crow laws where a restaurant or store served an ever decreasing number of only whites while rejecting business from blacks.

In Kenya it is the management that seems to decide which people to dominate a company. Be it a parastatal or private firm this appears to be the case. When Nyachae hired Kikuyu managers, most of his businesses ended up dominated from top to bottom by Kikuyus. Kikuyu managers of Nakumatt have hired tellers from the same tribe making it a Kikuyu company. Virtually every branch is managed by one ethnic group. I am not sure the shareholding or ownership is equally tribal.

How to end it:
For the public sector I and Pundit long proposed that an independent body made up of professionals with the requisite qualifications in Statistics, Law, Sociology, Demography etc be set up to vet all new appointments and review the existing staff constellations in relationship to the Constitution. Thus a new appointment ad can pass through that body so that the desired person is clearly spelt out. If you are looking for an Ogiek, Maasai, Njemp or similar I think it could be specified. Something on those lines

Private sector:

A voluntary body can be set up - perhaps a council with representation from a wide range of sectors. Like the public one it should have experts to evaluate the staffing policies, practices and structure / make-up and make recommendations. If the company complies it should be issued with a compliance certificate. This should be done on a continuous basis.

Companies that comply can be free to bid for state and county jobs and tenders. Participating companies may not do business with non compliant companies.

One can add such issues as may be of concern to the wider population. For example companies supporting terrorism can be determined to be no compliant. This should not be based on rumor however.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 06:01:57 PM »
I have lots of work to do on that article. I took on more than I can swallow. I have written over 3000 words and I still feel it is not of publishing quality. I am trying to avoid the political baiting and just address the issue.

We have many Luo and Luhya companies that have no people from "outside". We have Luo and Luhya managers that have turned state corporations into tribal fiefdoms. It is huge. Our country is tribal.

Look again

Top management

... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 06:05:05 PM »
If the idea is to promote a unified country then diversity on voluntary basis is the way to go. I have no knowledge of any enforced diversity in the private sector.

However a government may demand that a company doing business with it must have a diversified staff. The trick is finding the body that can grant the stamp of approval

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:00:09 PM »
I have lots of work to do on that article. I took on more than I can swallow. I have written over 3000 words and I still feel it is not of publishing quality. I am trying to avoid the political baiting and just address the issue.

We have many Luo and Luhya companies that have no people from "outside". We have Luo and Luhya managers that have turned state corporations into tribal fiefdoms. It is huge. Our country is tribal.

Then perhaps you should pull it down before you organize your thoughts
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 10:41:08 PM »
I will fix the error. We write these things to provoke debate.

I will be inviting you to contribute. Such things are not created to be owned individually. You'll keep the rights to whatever you write.

Then perhaps you should pull it down before you organize your thoughts

Offline jakoyo

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 01:12:59 AM »
Susan  Akinyi is the MD Jambo fish farm in Kiambu. It generates shs 15 million /yr. She is a bio-medical scientist who did her masters in fish farming. She is the brain behind this successful management of this business venture.

Jambo fish farm is a predominant GEMA investment.

Watch video - very impressive

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 08:08:13 AM »
I will fix the error. We write these things to provoke debate.

I will be inviting you to contribute. Such things are not created to be owned individually. You'll keep the rights to whatever you write.

It is well my broda,
Briefly, I think it is more of nepotism than tribalism. most of your friends are likely to be your kinsmen and if you are a family man, your inlaws are likely to be from your tribe. So whether you favor friends or family, they come from the same tribe as you.

I once read that this is part of the reason RIM, BlackBerry company is on its deathbed; they ensured the CEOs and who's what came from a specific region of Canada.

Like said, it's a good idea but I think it can easily be pushed to the extremes of political correctness where tribe is a factor in recruitment and promotion

Offline bryan275

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »

Look again

Top management

In the UK we have a catchall law called The Equalities Act 2010.  Everyone is bound by it including the private sector.