Author Topic: China blast in Tianjin kills hundreds  (Read 2872 times)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
China blast in Tianjin kills hundreds
« on: August 13, 2015, 06:12:17 PM »
http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/aug/13/tianjin-explosion-hundreds-injured-killed-china-blasts-latest-updates

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: China blast in Tianjin kills hundreds
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 08:32:15 PM »
Is that a terror attack?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:19:31 PM »
 I highly doubt it; China is actually a very tough place for any would-be terrorist.

My guess: an industrial mishap.   In many places in China, the drive to minimize production costs, make money (for owners of factories), and keep China as the "world's manufacturer" (for the government) mean that corners are being cut all over the place.  There are not-too-infrequent "small disasters", with many more waiting to happen.  The government knows this, but generally finds it "helpful" to look aside.   
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 12:48:47 AM »
China does now have serious laws to protect the public. Elevators opening in midair, escalators grinding people to death, etc. most of the products sold in China are toxic, and it's the reason he rate of cancer has skyrocketed

Offline Reticent Solipsist

• Superstar
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 10:04:43 AM »
This is typical of the profit minded fast growth mentality [chap chap] espoused by that cabal in Beijing. Certainly, any objective person has to question the role that corruption [and cutting corners] plays in EIA processes in places like Tianjin and in China as a whole.

For example, where is the wisdom of building a storage facility or warehouse for hazardous materials so close to a residential area? Well, I guess, only in China. In the U.S. community groups -- those "pesky" civil society folks -- would be up in arms quoting zoning ordinance a, b, and c, and would ensure its demise.

I can't count the number of times when in Seoul or across the Sea of Japan, I find myself breathing polluted air PM2.5 courtesy of the maendeleo chap chap Chinese.

I highly doubt it; China is actually a very tough place for any would-be terrorist.

My guess: an industrial mishap.   In many places in China, the drive to minimize production costs, make money (for owners of factories), and keep China as the "world's manufacturer" (for the government) mean that corners are being cut all over the place.  There are not-too-infrequent "small disasters", with many more waiting to happen.  The government knows this, but generally finds it "helpful" to look aside.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »
There are too many of them, this is natural attrition
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 10:24:25 AM »

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 04:03:32 PM »
The Indian is projected to pass the Chinaman in 2025 in terms of sheer number of souls. 

The Chinaman held a military parade yesterday.  Mention democracy and those old faces will all reach for their dictionary.

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Reticent Solipsist

• Superstar
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 10:33:10 AM »

I recall once listening on radio to an American environmental scientist who noted that breathing Beijing's polluted air equals smoking two packs of cigarettes a day, causing somewhere north of 1 million deaths a year.