Author Topic: Beijing World Chamionships  (Read 13265 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Beijing World Chamionships
« on: August 22, 2015, 01:13:17 PM »
Started with Kenya laying an egg in the marathon.  The impression I get is that Kenyan marathoners have become too commercialized.  Only showng up for the majors.

On the other hand, Ugandan Sebeis appear to be now waking up to their long distance natural talent.
Nineteen-year-old Ghirmay Ghebreslassie becomes the youngest winner of the marathon at the World Championships with gold in Beijing.

He finished in a time of two hours 12 minutes 27 seconds to secure Eritrea's first ever World Championship gold medal, after overcoming confusion as to the correct route to follow in the final stages of the race.

Yemane Tsegay of Ethiopia won silver, with Munyo Solomon Mutai of Uganda finishing third. 2012 London Olympic gold medallist Stephen Kiprotich was down in sixth.
source:  BBC sports
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
Re: Beijing World Chamionships
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 05:35:42 PM »
I am liking Gatlin for 100 metres.  But Trayvon Bromell is scary fast.

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 07:42:05 PM »
The must-watch event is the steeplechase.   These guys have ignored and under-rated Evan Jager, but he has finally served notice that he is a serious guy.  He could wake up the nodding Kembois.   Regardless of his performance here, he has been improving so much that he will be a serious contender for gold in next year's Olympics.   Probably the first one the Kenyans have seen for a while.   
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 10:24:39 PM »
The must-watch event is the steeplechase.   These guys have ignored and under-rated Evan Jager, but he has finally served notice that he is a serious guy.  He could wake up the nodding Kembois.   Regardless of his performance here, he has been improving so much that he will be a serious contender for gold in next year's Olympics.   Probably the first one the Kenyans have seen for a while.   
I saw the race in which Evan Jager tripped.  The guy is capable of breaking the world record.

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 11:21:55 PM »
I saw the race in which Evan Jager tripped.  The guy is capable of breaking the world record.

No doubt about it, considering the progress he has made in such a short time.  He is going to be the first American to do sub-8; in a sense he already is, given that he clearly would have done something like 7:56 in that race.   The time tomorrow will be an interesting one if they all go flat-out.   Kemboi had the fastest times in the heats today, but I have my doubts about him.   

I could be wrong, but I think Birech is the most serious of the Kenyans in there and possibly has WR stuff in him.   He did 7:58 in that Jager-disaster race, which is consistent with his performance (when pushed) in the last couple of years; on the other hand, I can't remember when last Kemboi posted such times.

I noted that you are rooting for Conseslus.  Anything is possible, but I don't see him as quite there yet.   Against Kemboi, for the gold, it could easily be a Lion-And-Jewel sort of battle.  Birech on the other hand is only slightly older but seems more focused and is also a little more experienced in this sort of thing.  I'm going to bet on Birech, and I think he could do something spectacular if pushed hard enough.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:26:41 AM by MOON Ki »

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 12:57:38 AM »
Started with Kenya laying an egg in the marathon. 

Just last week, The Standard had an article on preparation for the marathon.   The coach had some  predictions, as well as "interesting" comments on their choice of training location:

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/sports/article/2000173026/kipsang-promises-to-fly-kenya-s-flag-high-in-beijing

Wow.  (And the "wow" is beyond any complacency in "we've got this and that great man/woman on our team.)   Beijing in the summer tends to be hot and humid.   I'm not sure that Iten is like that,  discounting for both, but I know that Beijing definitely has something that Iten doesn't have and which would compound any effects of heat and humidity: industrial pollution

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 01:18:37 AM »
For those who didn't get to see I as it happened:

and

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 05:43:22 PM »
Usain Bolt comes through in the 100.  But at 29 he is looking increasingly more human. 

@MOON Ki,

Those links don't work in my country.  Or any web proxy in Europe for that matter.  I wonder in which country one can view them.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »

No doubt about it, considering the progress he has made in such a short time.  He is going to be the first American to do sub-8; in a sense he already is, given that he clearly would have done something like 7:56 in that race.   The time tomorrow will be an interesting one if they all go flat-out.   Kemboi had the fastest times in the heats today, but I have my doubts about him.   

I could be wrong, but I think Birech is the most serious of the Kenyans in there and possibly has WR stuff in him.   He did 7:58 in that Jager-disaster race, which is consistent with his performance (when pushed) in the last couple of years; on the other hand, I can't remember when last Kemboi posted such times.

I noted that you are rooting for Conseslus.  Anything is possible, but I don't see him as quite there yet.   Against Kemboi, for the gold, it could easily be a Lion-And-Jewel sort of battle.  Birech on the other hand is only slightly older but seems more focused and is also a little more experienced in this sort of thing.  I'm going to bet on Birech, and I think he could do something spectacular if pushed hard enough.
Kemboi is on his last legs at this point.  I would be stunned if he wins.  He has been struggling.  Kipruto, Birech with Jager presenting an outside threat is how I see it.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 05:33:50 PM »
Kemboi's old legs do it for him.  Again.  Kipruto can beat Kemboi 9 out of 10 times, but lacks the nerves to beat him on a big stage.  Kemboi is a big stage performer. 

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 06:44:57 PM »
Those links don't work in my country.  Or any web proxy in Europe for that matter.  I wonder in which country one can view them.

Not sure why they don't work.  But all is well if one goes directly to YouTube and types in

IAAF World Championships Beijing 2015 - Day 1 Morning Session
IAAF World Championships Beijing 2015 - Day 1 Evening Session

Etc.

you fill find the recordings for each entire day.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 06:52:32 PM »
Kemboi's old legs do it for him.  Again.  Kipruto can beat Kemboi 9 out of 10 times, but lacks the nerves to beat him on a big stage.  Kemboi is a big stage performer. 

That was unexpected.    Birech surprised, given that he has been running much better than that in the last year.     Jager was even more of a surprise; even without a victory, one expected him to do a lot better.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 02:03:49 AM »
@Termie

Here is a good analysis and set of commentaries on the race:

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2015/08/ezekiel-kemboi-cements-status-as-greatest-of-all-time-evan-jagers-medal-hopes-come-up-short/

Your man says he had shoe problems.  The photo seems to support him.   Could explain that odd hesitation on the last hurdle, where he  appeared to be so concerned  he that might go down Jager-style.

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 04:47:08 AM »
@Termie

Here is a good analysis and set of commentaries on the race:

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2015/08/ezekiel-kemboi-cements-status-as-greatest-of-all-time-evan-jagers-medal-hopes-come-up-short/

Your man says he had shoe problems.  The photo seems to support him.   Could explain that odd hesitation on the last hurdle, where he  appeared to be so concerned  he that might go down Jager-style.
Interesting.  Looks like he just jumped over the water hurdle and that caught his shoe.

The other shock of this contest is Nijel Amos.  I saw him fail to qualify for the final in a major anticlimax.  I think he just assumed he is automatic.  A silly mistake for a competitor at his level.

Rudisha still has to overcome this Amel Tuka guy who popped onto the scene from nowhere(I think he is on steroids).

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 05:27:31 AM »
Interesting.  Looks like he just jumped over the water hurdle and that caught his shoe.

But then again, I'm not so sure it was entirely the shoe.  It is possible that he is just not confident of being able to clear the hurdles while going fast and so has no way to respond when Kemboi does one of his manic bursts.   Take a look at the last 300m of the 2013 World Championships and especially the last hurdle:

He probably needs to figure something there, but he definitely looks like he is heading for the superstar leagues.

The other shock of this contest is Nijel Amos.  I saw him fail to qualify for the final in a major anticlimax.  I think he just assumed he is automatic.  A silly mistake for a competitor at his level.

That was bizarre.   But he is a young fellow and so has another shot at the Worlds.

Rudisha still has to overcome this Amel Tuka guy who popped onto the scene from nowhere(I think he is on steroids).

Yes, he looks quite suspect.  I don't know how Slovenia decides this things, but I note that Tuka, on the strength of some performance last week, has already made the Slovenian team for next year's Olympics!

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 05:18:02 PM »

Harriet Tubman