Author Topic: Tech bubble burst is nigh  (Read 14387 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Tech bubble burst is nigh
« on: August 11, 2017, 03:53:33 AM »
There is overinvestment in technology industry which has crowded the field in recent years. If you see promising unicorns begin to flounder - see Snapchat - it's telling. Only those that divest using science - and into the emerging markets - will survive. They must solve real problems rather than just serve as a luxury - there is enough of those already.

This is why I think the likes of Tesla will survive - even as Windy sneers - they solve an actual problem facing humanity which is climate change. After cracking the technology they are now divesting into the lower class segment and heading for mass market that includes the emerging markets. I believe enough Chinese, Indians & Africans will afford the US$35K Teslas EVs - with the added bonus that they are, well, electric.

Facebook is investing heavy in Internet beaming drones... aiming for the mass market - and something that everyone needs - connectivity. They will soon wipe out telcos.

Tech bubble burst is nigh... long live tech!

I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Tech bubble burst is nigh
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 05:15:21 AM »
I have never sneered at Elon Musk.  I like what he does for the most part.  Except the Mars terraforming thing.  I understand he is ambitious.  But maybe he needs to terraform the planet terra itself and save it from global warming first, before he can dream of doing that on a planet that is 20 light minutes away.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 05:27:18 AM »
I have never sneered at Elon Musk.  I like what he does for the most part.  Except the Mars terraforming thing.  I understand he is ambitious.  But maybe he needs to terraform the planet terra itself and save it from global warming first, before he can dream of doing that on a planet that is 20 light minutes away.

Mars is a great idea.   The far-thinking among us are already looking to the day when, with global warming and all that, Planet Earth will be too f**ked up a place. And Elon is our man.  By the way, it's not just Musk who has that sort of advanced thinking.   People are already buying and flipping land on the place.    Just looking at one "real estate agency", I note that their prices have already gone up, although still quite cheap at $29.95 per acre:

https://www.buymars.com/

(Title deed "recorded and registered in the International Association Of Human Planetary Exploration". Very official)

Here's another one offering "Planet Mars Standard, Planet Mars Premium, Planet Mars Deluxe, Planet Mars Super, Planet Mars 5 Acre Deed, 10 Acre Land On Planet Mars Deed":

http://www.lunarland.com/gift-packages/mars-land.html

Serious pioneer/entrepreneur stuff.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 06:27:47 AM »
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 06:36:33 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-mars-speech-transcript-2016-9?IR=T

Here's Elon Musk's complete, sweeping vision on colonizing Mars to save humanity

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 06:44:23 AM »
MOON Ki - I trust those are not Zamunda or Ukrainian companies - is that sarcasm I smell? If they only deal in bitcoins don't pay  :)

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 07:59:47 AM »
Ooh Jesus here Elon mskamasi again

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 12:00:37 AM »
MOON Ki - I trust those are not Zamunda or Ukrainian companies - is that sarcasm I smell? If they only deal in bitcoins don't pay  :)

This is a genuine American company that has been in business for quite some time.   Click on the "As Seen On TV" link, and note how and where they have been seen on TV.   Payment is by legitimate credit card.

By the way, not all buyers actually intend to, or even think, they will get to Mars.   Quite a few are smartly thinking about mineral rights and the day---quite soon---when robots will be sent there to mine all sorts of riches.  Think about it: $X millions from just $29.95 (postage-and-handling of title deed included).
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 07:29:23 AM »
Dear Robina

Have you ever been inside a Tesla car? I have about a week ago (see my snap below). This thing is gonna blow up like an iphone. Safety hazards galore. So amateur. Trashy. Cheap looking. FAR from engineering ingenuity. It felt awfully weak and how often does your phone go dead from forgetting to recharge compared to your car running out of petrol to the point you can't drive?

Any new gadget entails an investment in the correct infrastructure.

Unicorns dream and sell after peaking because that's all they do... make money. Then they sell, make up more new lies, peak, sell.

It takes experience and homegrown passion to sustain a global solution. It's believable when Hyundai says hey we're gonna mass produce electric cars because we've done the tests and know it's safe and sustainable. The fact these industry experts aren't doing that- says a lot. The likes of Hyundai have built infrastructure eg. Saudi Arabi, to know current infrastructure including safety and energy production rates aren't enough to keep people safe in electric cars.

That's all Elon Musk types and his ilks are- concept bubbles.

Now I'm not saying oneday we won't be on Mars. I'm saying these things develop organically. It just doesn't happen overnight.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 07:39:42 AM »
They cherry pick on figments, flaunt concepts, make money, forget about it, then twinkle about the next new cherry. On goes the marketing cycle. There are no roots or commitment to what they flaunt. Case in point when committing to a life partner. ..

This just doesn't happen...

This does happen ....

The latter is a life's commitment and is sustainable because it's a continuation of humanity.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 07:41:35 AM »

This is a genuine American company that has been in business for quite some time.   Click on the "As Seen On TV" link, and note how and where they have been seen on TV.   Payment is by legitimate credit card.

By the way, not all buyers actually intend to, or even think, they will get to Mars.   Quite a few are smartly thinking about mineral rights and the day---quite soon---when robots will be sent there to mine all sorts of riches.  Think about it: $X millions from just $29.95 (postage-and-handling of title deed included).

The fact that you even uttered "this is a genuine American company" says a lot.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »
veri - the top dude is cuter  :) yes my pal owns a Roadster.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 10:59:51 AM »

That's probably why you're salivating over an iTesla. your pal sounds like my type though.

Top dude cuter ? I guess you were..

You can tell a lot about a chica from their man preference.

I'm a bit of a unicorn too but of this variation:

I keep it in my pants and dreams.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 02:55:31 PM »
Robina
in my opinion Tesla will sky rocket once the price si right

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 03:11:26 PM »

I could see that possibility for asteroids.  Planets are terrible candidates for extraction unless you stay there.  The cost of getting the stuff out will outweigh its worth.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 03:15:37 PM »

Why?  Because he has fewer Negroid features?

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 03:26:28 PM »
This is a wonderful idea.

If only he could make crafts big enough to lift whole tribes and their cows, it could solve the current problem in Kenya.

Imagine if all the Luos, Luhyas, Miji Kenda, Somalis (42 out of 44) left for a section of Mars, every Land grabber would have like a whole county to himself.

I can see Uhuru extending his family holdings in Kwale and the whole idea of rigging Mvurya in (54% vs 44%) so he can sign off more mineral rich land to some "offshore company" would be unhelpful to the cause.

The opposite is also true. If some people who cannot live with others because they cannot stand the idea of "being ruled", could be encouraged to move to a new planet with unlimited land; where the sand is Gold and god, perhaps we can solve this problem.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 05:54:51 PM »

Why?  Because he has fewer Negroid features?

F* off

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 06:23:28 PM »
Omollo honestly this is apolitical - there are multiple gains to be had - especially resource-wise. It is a fact that the earth is increasingly resource-depleted and in need for a supplement. Political or social disaffection is not a reason to leave the planet - just the country.

An individual planning to move 1M people to Mars... to create a civilization - now that is something to behold. The one promising a trip to Canaan - biblical :D - not so much.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 07:07:23 PM »
Omollo lol.

There are thousands of uninhabited island on this glorious planet called Earth.

If these wackos were that serious about Mars, you'd think they'd try to inhabit antarctica first. Mars for the most part is colder than Antarctica.