Author Topic: Prolific inventors & innovators  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Prolific inventors & innovators
« on: October 28, 2017, 01:23:22 PM »
Sometime ago the Vintage Assassin poured cold water on the role of inventors and innovators in economic development. Well, I believe leapfrogs are driven by renaissance men - whose platforms the masses ride to prosperity. The digital revolution is the most recent renaissance in the world.

Windy said there is no famous Australian innovator yet Australia is developed. This is not the case as can be seen in this wiki. Kia Silverbrooke is only behind the Japanese Shunpei Yamazaki in filed patents.

The wiki is for 200+ patents, but the notable thing is the prominent African absence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prolific_inventors#
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline bryan275

• Enigma
Re: Prolific inventors & innovators
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »
We are still riding on patents by Alexander Graham Bell and Thomas Edison.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 03:25:46 PM »
Yes bryan. Inventors principally discover new knowledge by research. Innovators apply the knowledge by building technology. People like Nikola Tesla traded in patents as do the people in this wiki. Dr Kia Silverbrooke actually has a patents business called Priority Matters. Tom Edison was a good mix of both - General Electric was an idea and product factory - same as most renaissance men. The robber barons were ruthless industrialists - Edison's bareknuckle business tactics earned him many foes. Elon Musk is an innovator (not an inventor) - as were Gates, Jobs, etc - who were accused of various anti-trust breaches. I believe Elon Musk's SpaceX will eventually be declared a monopoly - which means he'll be guilty of excellence - as his solutions overwhelm the competition.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 06:58:45 PM »
Sometime ago the Vintage Assassin poured cold water on the role of inventors and innovators in economic development. Well, I believe leapfrogs are driven by renaissance men - whose platforms the masses ride to prosperity. The digital revolution is the most recent renaissance in the world.

Windy said there is no famous Australian innovator yet Australia is developed. This is not the case as can be seen in this wiki. Kia Silverbrooke is only behind the Japanese Shunpei Yamazaki in filed patents.

The wiki is for 200+ patents, but the notable thing is the prominent African absence.

Robina,

At least provide a quote to give some context where "I said this".  As you can see, most on that list are Americans.  Yet America does not have a monopoly of development, relative to other Western countries.  So there is more to it than just number of inventors and innovators.   Also that being wikipedia, there is going to be something not exhaustive about that list.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline bryan275

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 08:36:35 PM »

Robina,

At least provide a quote to give some context where "I said this".  As you can see, most on that list are Americans.  Yet America does not have a monopoly of development, relative to other Western countries.  So there is more to it than just number of inventors and innovators.    Also that being wikipedia, there is going to be something not exhaustive about that list.

You may have a point, inventors from endebess are missing from this list.  Also uncle Chebsey should be on that list for turning 3.5m votes into a jesus rivaling 8m.  Please give Chebsey 2 fish and 5 loaves!

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 01:30:08 PM »
Robina - I think you're mistaken to imagine innovation is like a magic ward that someone pulls out of the rug - this continuation of many years and many people effort. You'd be a fool to attribute Bill Gates or Apple dude for US computer revolution.

Always remember this very simple maxim - country/family/company become rich - country  has resources (time+money) to innovate - country become richer.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 01:39:12 PM »
No, I don't think it's a magic wand. But it's a critical cog in development. My quest is why none of these guys are African. Nothing in Africa - since premedieval Egypt - while the West and Asia seem to replicate it after every disaster cycle. This can unwrap lots of things.

Robina - I think you're mistaken to imagine innovation is like a magic ward that someone pulls out of the rug - this continuation of many years and many people effort. You'd be a fool to attribute Bill Gates or Apple dude for US computer revolution.

Always remember this very simple maxim - country/family/company become rich - country  has resources (time+money) to innovate - country become richer.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 04:12:57 PM »

Robina,

At least provide a quote to give some context where "I said this".  As you can see, most on that list are Americans.  Yet America does not have a monopoly of development, relative to other Western countries.  So there is more to it than just number of inventors and innovators.    Also that being wikipedia, there is going to be something not exhaustive about that list.

You may have a point, inventors from endebess are missing from this list.  Also uncle Chebsey should be on that list for turning 3.5m votes into a jesus rivaling 8m.  Please give Chebsey 2 fish and 5 loaves!

I will find out if Wikipedia has comblimendary mechanisms that we may use to include Endebess inventors.  And maybe the innovators of green jikos and sufurias.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman