Author Topic: Who owns the Society for Neuroscience?  (Read 2994 times)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Who owns the Society for Neuroscience?
« on: September 30, 2014, 10:50:32 AM »
Anyone know how much this business is? Didn't know about it until today. They smell bankrupt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_Neuroscience

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Re: Who owns the Society for Neuroscience?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:06:40 AM »
You know contrary to what the media says, it's inevitable publishers will ALL go bankrupt one day. We see that in the mainstream media already.

Who needs publishers when you can publish your work anywhere. If governments bothered to reiterate into policy the standards of research output, who needs publishers? I guess the question is BOTHER. IF they bothered. .. in the bigger scheme of things, publishers are nobodies. I guess that's the picture decision makers need to see.

Offline Olekoima

• Mega superstar
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »
Anyone know how much this business is? Didn't know about it until today. They smell bankrupt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_Neuroscience

Sounds like some serious body. A research institution if i may say. I don't think this will go down like the publishers you mention above.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »
A research institution has no money. I've done my research. I peg this institution going bankrupt like many research institutions for a number of reasons, just from looking at their wikipedia profile. That's why I ask how much.

I bet someone could easily buy it for 20 million tops. Dwindling funds, polluted research on neuroscience. Is it medicine, psychology, what is neuroscience? My guess is they have too many pop psychology members and not enough integrity in their backbone. I don't smell the passion. In that case there's a shelf life.

Neuroscience doesn't qualify as medical research. It's one of those grey areas riding on the fringe of pop craze, brain stuff, luminosity etc. their research doesn't appeal to govts, private sectors and the likes. What relevance is luminosity to public health and govts? That's why they put policy etc. on their web profile. Which medical field doesn't advise govt policy?

Neuroscience is a dwindling fad. If one could buy it they could transform it into something that generates income, like buy and sell fmri, perishable neuro-related consumables for public consumption. Focus on selling neuroscience as opposed to pretending to promoting shatty research and get togethers they can't even manage. It's unsustainable. I bet my money they're going bankrupt. I can smell bankruptcy like a hawk from many miles away.

Offline Olekoima

• Mega superstar
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 06:29:59 PM »
Veritas i doubt, but don't have enough input to explain my case. In a way you have beaten me in this so i will let you be.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 06:35:56 PM »
Beaten? Was this a competition? If this was a competition with a lucrative endpoint I'd have pursued evidence.

How much do you bet I'm right? Can't be money, has to be something priceless.

Offline Olekoima

• Mega superstar
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 06:40:56 PM »
Beaten? Was this a competition? If this was a competition with a lucrative endpoint I'd have pursued evidence.

How much do you bet I'm right? Can't be money, has to be something priceless.

:D :D, i think i should reach out for a drink now.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 06:56:59 PM »
A drink? That's it?

Offline bittertruth

• Superstar
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 07:36:08 PM »
Veritas,
The focus could be on building conscious machines. We could never know as consciousness is not an observable but subjective thing only experienced.
How that will influence mankind I don't know.

Neuroscience doesn't qualify as medical research. It's one of those grey areas riding on the fringe of pop craze, brain stuff, luminosity etc. their research doesn't appeal to govts, private sectors and the likes. What relevance is luminosity to public health and govts? That's why they put policy etc. on their web profile. Which medical field doesn't advise govt policy?

Prov 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 07:53:41 PM »
BT, my science major was neuroscience and lo and behold has no place in med research.

Conscious machines will be made my engineers. The study of consciousness is done by psychologists and philosophers. Neuroscience as a discipline is a combination of pop psychology meets an fmri machine.