Author Topic: Robina- I see ya!!!  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Robina- I see ya!!!
« on: December 22, 2017, 09:01:18 PM »
Where are you in this pic?
How much did you invest?
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/startup-incubator-nailab-invests-25k-190524625.html

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: Robina- I see ya!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 02:46:32 AM »
I personally know some of those folks. Billy Odero copied that Kuhustle idea from Guthub & Rent-a-Coder, crowdsource portals. Coders bid for gigs there. Before this he sold a mobile spyware called Snitch to WebSense for some good pocket change.

MR Dickey is a nerd wasting away at TechCrunch. Ati focusing on diversity sijui social justice. Crap. But she does a good job of spotlighting African start-ups.

Sam G, Nairobi Garage, iHub, etc are trying the VC thing. Banks can't solve the capital puzzle. We're struggling on talent which is what attracts VCs. Our focus is also superficial yet we have real problems like water & sanitation, infrastructure, education, energy, utilities, etc. Not just m-Kazi! There is a general misconception about startups - that they are to be micro businesses solving minute problems in babysteps. At iHub you won't find much - in a co-working space generally don't expect serious stuff. To me a start-up is just a new business and not just m- or e- softwares.

Disruption. Unicorn potential. Patent material. If you're not disrupting or transforming anything you're not a start-up. Just another micro business or SME. And the YCs won't lower the standard for you. For example you have Sendy, Komaza, M-Kopa, SunCulture - these solve real problems and have high potential in scale, impact and revenues. M-Kazi and Kuhustle not so much.

No I am not a NaiLab investor. I've run and sold a start-up in the past on gaming and animations. I've been looking to set up a start-up of my own with some partners. Agritec. Israel is more useful to us than Silicon Valley as a source of partnering on learning, technology and even funding.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 07:03:03 AM »
Wow, who are you Robina?

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 01:09:12 PM »
Ooh veri from what you submit here I'd say you're the real deal with a hip lifestyle. I did a few years in corporate and decided it ain't my thing. I thrive on gigs - tech projects - the PhD was a waste.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 01:06:04 AM »
Robina,
Why Israel?

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 02:58:57 PM »
Robina,
Why Israel?

Cutting edge agritec of course. Israel is literally a green desert. An artificial oasis. There is great tech we can borrow from them.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 07:07:42 AM »
Wow, who are you Robina?
I know Robina. Lets just keep it that way. One of these days i reveal me.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 03:17:19 PM »
A look back at the year that the Sub-Sahara Africa startup scene found its stride
https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/05/a-look-back-at-the-year-that-the-sub-saharan-african-startup-scene-found-its-stride/

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 12:37:52 PM »
Slowly these techies are rising.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 02:06:54 PM »
woah! Dr Robina... you have a doctorate? wow? that explains why you're super intelligent. Not sure what makes you think i'm hip but thank you.

Ooh veri from what you submit here I'd say you're the real deal with a hip lifestyle. I did a few years in corporate and decided it ain't my thing. I thrive on gigs - tech projects - the PhD was a waste.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 10:10:34 PM »
I am an industrial engineer. The PhD doesn't make me intelligent, just knowledgeable. I have come to believe academic achievement does not equate to real-world achievement.

You're hip in contrast to nerd wacko me. I do factory automation while moonlighting as a software coder. Your cupcakes and mozarelli and sushi fill me with green envy.

woah! Dr Robina... you have a doctorate? wow? that explains why you're super intelligent. Not sure what makes you think i'm hip but thank you.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 08:33:06 AM »
lol, oh dear Robina, you're hip! factory automation while moonlighting as a software coder... love it. but i do love cupcakes and mozarelli and sushi...

...and generally cute stuff like these vitamin ballpens...

...and technical to the extent of these kawaii stickers...

i guess these sorts of nonsense are way too soft for an industrial engineer ... I think you're amazing. Do you get to wear a hardhat?

...or is it more prototype?

I am an industrial engineer. The PhD doesn't make me intelligent, just knowledgeable. I have come to believe academic achievement does not equate to real-world achievement.

You're hip in contrast to nerd wacko me. I do factory automation while moonlighting as a software coder. Your cupcakes and mozarelli and sushi fill me with green envy.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 06:53:18 PM »
yup all that :) Just off a gig as robotics & automation engineer at ABB. Looking forward to something new - at Bosch or Northrop. I interviewed at Tesla but I don't see it happening.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 05:53:36 AM »
yup all that :) Just off a gig as robotics & automation engineer at ABB. Looking forward to something new - at Bosch or Northrop. I interviewed at Tesla but I don't see it happening.

Wow! I thought you shared Elon's vision. I saw a Tesla vehicle at the service station the other day pumping petrol.... how does that work?

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 07:54:17 PM »
yeah we both don't like to call things a "system". Cause everything's a system including your dog :D You could be taking a supercharger for a gas pump. Quite a bunch of them installed in the same station. Tesla non-hybrid EV has no combustion engine.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 09:51:31 PM »
Robina,
You are a hit. Its time women went places, instead of all white men. Most women fear being alone in an all male room, so they back into their comfort zone.