Author Topic: Is that a coup brewing in Zim?  (Read 11998 times)

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Is that a coup brewing in Zim?
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »
Seems Mugabe had prepared for this over the years. The generals seem to revere him to godly status, otherwise he would have had a 'heart attack'.
With the Shona being the majority, I see no major fallout in the country no matter how things goes.
Identities such as race, tribe, religion, gender have really messed up individuals and societies.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2017, 05:25:35 PM »
Seems Mugabe had prepared for this over the years. The generals seem to revere him to godly status, otherwise he would have had a 'heart attack'.
With the Shona being the majority, I see no major fallout in the country no matter how things goes.
Identities such as race, tribe, religion, gender have really messed up individuals and societies.

He seems like a happy go lucky character.  If you contrast that with his wife's character, you get a hint of who has been running Zimbabwe for the last decade and some.  I think he has the weakness of going by the advice of the last person he spoke with.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2017, 07:52:35 PM »
It's over.  Time to rebuild Zim.
Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has resigned after 37 years as leader of the southern African nation, finally succumbing to the pressure of a military takeover and the humiliation of impeachment.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/21/africa/robert-mugabe-resigns-zimbabwe-president/index.html
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2017, 08:54:41 PM »
Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has resigned after 37 years as leader of the southern African nation, finally succumbing to the pressure of a military takeover and the humiliation of impeachment.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/21/africa/robert-mugabe-resigns-zimbabwe-president/index.html
Good luck to the Zimbabweans. Seriously.

If they don't change the system, it's not gonna be a very bright future for them.

Remember this?

We went through the same thing.

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2017, 09:14:31 PM »
Kenya will exhale one day.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2017, 03:47:39 AM »
Vooke, Kudos on this!!!

When leaders like Trump, Mugabe, etc are in office people cry. People rejoiced when Obama was elected but now they are crossing their fingers. Republicans will vote for anything even legally killing people.

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2017, 07:54:29 AM »

If they don't change the system, it's not gonna be a very bright future for them.

Remember this?

My thoughts exactly. We've been here before. Hopefully, things go much better for the Zims. Removing a dictator is not the whole solution I'm afraid, though it provides a golden opportunity.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2017, 08:02:57 AM »
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »
Its almost impossible to change the system. Oligarchs rule and thats the way its going to be. Except maybe for some Scandinavian countries. The monied make the rules and we are peons in the system.

Remember this?

My thoughts exactly. We've been here before. Hopefully, things go much better for the Zims. Removing a dictator is not the whole solution I'm afraid, though it provides a golden opportunity.

• Enigma
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2017, 07:00:31 PM »

Remember this?

The tribal dynamic in Kenya makes me wary of comparing it to other African countries.  They may also have tribal issues, but in Kenya, tribalism is a tried and tested fallback for inept and crooked leaders.  I don't get the sense that Mugabe was able to fall back on the ethnic cushion; it's safe to assume his successor wont have it either.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2017, 08:44:19 PM »

Remember this?

The tribal dynamic in Kenya makes me wary of comparing it to other African countries.  They may also have tribal issues, but in Kenya, tribalism is a tried and tested fallback for inept and crooked leaders.  I don't get the sense that Mugabe was able to fall back on the ethnic cushion; it's safe to assume his successor wont have it either.
Mugabe relied on patriotism and racism.

Same thing.

• Enigma
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2017, 03:53:59 AM »

Remember this?

Same thing.

But it's different.  If some soldier took power in Kenya today, he can only count on some parts of the country rallying behind him.  More specifically he will have his hands full with GEMA(and to a lesser extent Kalenjin) reactionaries in the relevant institutions and security services.  You are more likely to see ethnic clashes than eurphoria in the streets.  The ethnic factor may not be absent in Zimbabwe, but its role is not decisive.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2017, 04:10:51 AM »

Ian Khama cannot help but do a jig.  He obviously could not stand Mugabe.

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2017, 12:40:50 PM »
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
Mugabe family gets immunity from prosecution. Like moi kids Mugabe kids will rule again

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2017, 06:14:57 PM »

Remember this?

Same thing.

But it's different.  If some soldier took power in Kenya today, he can only count on some parts of the country rallying behind him.  More specifically he will have his hands full with GEMA(and to a lesser extent Kalenjin) reactionaries in the relevant institutions and security services.  You are more likely to see ethnic clashes than eurphoria in the streets.  The ethnic factor may not be absent in Zimbabwe, but its role is not decisive.
You're right.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »

• Enigma
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2017, 05:08:31 PM »

Mnangagwa may just win the elections, fair and square(sometimes this happens), on the basis of euphoria and making the right noises.  His true colors(there will always be folks choosing to NOT see established facts) should emerge sometime after the elections.  Either way, it seems the only way for Zim is up, in economic terms.

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2017, 05:25:50 PM »
Mnangagwa may just win the elections, fair and square(sometimes this happens), on the basis of euphoria and making the right noises.  His true colors(there will always be folks choosing to NOT see established facts) should emerge sometime after the elections.  Either way, it seems the only way for Zim is up, in economic terms.

He could be a surprise, but his history does not offer much promise.   It's like replacing a mad dog with a wild one and expecting a better pet or better security.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

• Enigma
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2017, 05:41:32 PM »

He could be a surprise, but his history does not offer much promise.   It's like replacing a mad dog with a wild one and expecting a better pet or better security.

I think economically they will improve in the short term, just because they had hit rock bottom and goodwill from trading partners and the hated imperialists.  Politically, it might be what the doctor ordered for ZANU and that is not good for Zimbabwe.

Harriet Tubman