Author Topic: Why Negroes are Fleeing White Churches like Rats off a Sinking ship  (Read 1725 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
That was when she concluded that it was not, ultimately, meant for people like her
https://nyti.ms/2De9fnP?
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Why Negroes are Fleeing White Churches like Rats off a Sinking ship
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 09:52:57 PM »
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 01:27:00 AM »
When most evangelicals praise Trump, its time to rethink,

Offline vooke

• Enigma
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 06:51:36 PM »
They think Lucifer uses Babu to sow discord.

:lolz:

When you mix church and politics, Church will definitely be the loser!!!
You cant have it both ways.
Republicans have mixed church and politics and now most pews are empty.

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 08:09:13 AM »
OMG, vooke this post sharply resonated. I was on a Catholic forum too and saw two things that just simply shocked me to where I questioned those guys on how genuine their religious beliefs were.

One was the shootings of blacks in the US like you. I was so shocked. The knee-jerk rush to defend the police whenever these stories were posted, even in cases where the dead guy posed no threat utterly chilled my blood. I used to think if I was in the States I would never vote Democrat because they are so aggressively anti-Christian but after that I realized if I lived there I could never support conservatives either because guess what? I am a negro dammit. These guys really didn't seem to think it a big deal for a cop to pump bullets into an unarmed black man just coz he had been stealing or even just been suspected of doing something. It's one thing if they;re secular but to see that from Christians is very disheartening. I started thinking, Gosh, black lives really don't matter the same way to them, do they?

The other thing was the cold reaction to the issue of dreamers that I saw. The lack of compassion from proclaimed Christians for people who were brought into the country as children and had known no other home than the U.S...I couldn't reconcile that attitude with someone who claims they follow Jesus. I once asked one point blank, if Jesus was standing in your room right now as you debate this issue, could you say the same thing to him? Could you tell Jesus, "It's the law! They were brought in illegally, they must go!" Or "They've already gotten advantages in education here, so let them go to Mexico and apply it there". Mind you these are 17/18 year-olds sometimes or even often. They never answered. They basically say "it's the law" but I was asking them as Christians why they support a law or oppose the changing of it, that is so cruel. Even Trump the heathen knew that to deport dreamers was inhuman but these believers were really OK with it even contrary to the stances of their churches, they were celebrating Trump's "deportation machine" under works right after the election. So sad.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 09:57:13 AM »

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 02:34:15 PM »
Maybe we overate Christianity as a behavior modifier

More like we underate the environment in which it is used and the purposes it serves.

It may sound cliche, but Christianity has been a constant companion of the white supremacist be it in the US, South Africa and likely many ugly colonial enterprises.

To anyone with good familiarity of the US, the mental image they have when they hear the term evangelical, is of a self righteous hypocritical bigot, and ocassionally a follower of Jesus.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 02:54:18 PM »
OMG, vooke this post sharply resonated. I was on a Catholic forum too and saw two things that just simply shocked me to where I questioned those guys on how genuine their religious beliefs were.

One was the shootings of blacks in the US like you. I was so shocked. The knee-jerk rush to defend the police whenever these stories were posted, even in cases where the dead guy posed no threat utterly chilled my blood. I used to think if I was in the States I would never vote Democrat because they are so aggressively anti-Christian but after that I realized if I lived there I could never support conservatives either because guess what? I am a negro dammit. These guys really didn't seem to think it a big deal for a cop to pump bullets into an unarmed black man just coz he had been stealing or even just been suspected of doing something. It's one thing if they;re secular but to see that from Christians is very disheartening. I started thinking, Gosh, black lives really don't matter the same way to them, do they?

The other thing was the cold reaction to the issue of dreamers that I saw. The lack of compassion from proclaimed Christians for people who were brought into the country as children and had known no other home than the U.S...I couldn't reconcile that attitude with someone who claims they follow Jesus. I once asked one point blank, if Jesus was standing in your room right now as you debate this issue, could you say the same thing to him? Could you tell Jesus, "It's the law! They were brought in illegally, they must go!" Or "They've already gotten advantages in education here, so let them go to Mexico and apply it there". Mind you these are 17/18 year-olds sometimes or even often. They never answered. They basically say "it's the law" but I was asking them as Christians why they support a law or oppose the changing of it, that is so cruel. Even Trump the heathen knew that to deport dreamers was inhuman but these believers were really OK with it even contrary to the stances of their churches, they were celebrating Trump's "deportation machine" under works right after the election. So sad.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 08:11:56 AM »
I just had to vent. I've gotten involved in a debate with some people online that nearly made me lose my head. Some people first arguing that apartheid was good for SA because the govt now sucks. And he doesnt understand why that would be offensive to suggest to an African? Things were good "back in the day"....yeah, for whom exactly were they so sweet? SA may be doing horribly but I've lived there and I know "horribly" isnt exactly as "horribly" as we may imagine. How many Africans access good education and healthcare and sometimes ever housing absolutely free? This alone if it were the only measure would make it better than Apartheid, no matter how much cleaner and prettier it was then. Dude is suggesting that a quiet white genocide is underway and Western govts are not making noise because they are ashamed that they pressured the boers to end apartheid and now multiculturism has failed and it's all an embarrassment so they are hush about the genocide. Yeah right! Like Western govts sure would allow an African country to commit genocide against White people and not immediately cripple that country. I'm so pissed!

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 08:17:02 AM »
Honestly, the more you encounter these people from red states the harder and harder it becomes to give them the benefit of the doubt and not presume racism. Only people from the bluer states seem to get even in that discussion how incredibly offensive it is to say to someone that ending the oppression of the majority natives is an experiment at multiculturism which fails because the govt's performance is bad......as if these populations are foreigners!!!!!

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »
I just had to vent. I've gotten involved in a debate with some people online that nearly made me lose my head. Some people first arguing that apartheid was good for SA because the govt now sucks. And he doesnt understand why that would be offensive to suggest to an African? Things were good "back in the day"....yeah, for whom exactly were they so sweet? SA may be doing horribly but I've lived there and I know "horribly" isnt exactly as "horribly" as we may imagine. How many Africans access good education and healthcare and sometimes ever housing absolutely free? This alone if it were the only measure would make it better than Apartheid, no matter how much cleaner and prettier it was then. Dude is suggesting that a quiet white genocide is underway and Western govts are not making noise because they are ashamed that they pressured the boers to end apartheid and now multiculturism has failed and it's all an embarrassment so they are hush about the genocide. Yeah right! Like Western govts sure would allow an African country to commit genocide against White people and not immediately cripple that country. I'm so pissed!

Many years ago when Kenya got its first Christian station FamilyFM, Irecall there used to be this boring program on Sunday morning where they played classical music.

I'm not that sophisticated so C Minor, and classical music legends just didn't make sense.

We were approaching Easter, and this bazungu host (he's a principal of a private school I can't recall) was talking about how Jews demanded that a murderer be released instead of Jesus who was innocent. He juxtaposed that against Dedan Kimathi the Mau Mau hero. Said Kenyans venerating a terrorist who killed many and stood in the way of colonialists who brought good tidings and Christianity would incur the wrath of God.

I later learnt he is an Anglican. He was interviewed by Sunday Nation and made strong arguments for colonialism.

Of course colonialism lifted us out of stone age and our angst against it deliberately ignores this, but it is the blindness against racism inherent in that, the horrors that make such arguments hypocritical.

Back then I was not too keen to connect the dots but now I know. Beneficiaries of any vice will always endeavour to rationalize them in faith. It's coping mechanism I suppose; it's easier to rationalize than admit you erred.

PS
I had some discussion with a Hindu on matters faith. I decided to drive him out of his comfort zone by asking him to state his Caste. He just got so furious and burned with rage. When he composed himself, he lamely attempted to distance Caste System from Hinduism,and he refused to state his caste.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 08:36:57 AM »
And another piece on why White Evangelicalism sucks. This is about the most honest thing I've read. It all boils down to money and power struggles.
https://www.politicalorphans.com/the-article-removed-from-forbes-why-white-evangelicalism-is-so-cruel/

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 05:58:23 PM »

There is a narrative of white farmers being butchered systematically.  Even if you assume that these ridiculous claims are true, and that most victims of attacks on farms are not actually black, the numbers pale in comparison to the background of numbers of crime in general.  If you are used to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 06:03:50 PM »
Christianity as we know it is dying.  50yrs from now pews will be completely empty - except for a few old people.
Instead of embracing sinners, the church slowly has been condemning them leaving many to move away and look somewhere. Mega churches have become money raising schemes rather than places where sinners are welcome.

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 06:10:40 PM »
Christianity as we know it is dying.  50yrs from now pews will be completely empty - except for a few old people.
Instead of embracing sinners, the church slowly has been condemning them leaving many to move away and look somewhere. Mega churches have become money raising schemes rather than places where sinners are welcome.

I think it's relevant in some states, solely as a vehicle for racist impulses.  They can use morals as a cudgel against those they don't like and talk about mulligans for those they adore like Trump.  It's a riot of hypocrisy.

Outside the US in the west, it's already becoming or has become a cultural artifact along the lines of ancient Greece and its treasures.  Something ancestors dabbled in.  Africa is where it will make its last stand.

Harriet Tubman